Monday, April 25, 2022

I can't believe what people tell me

"I can't believe what people tell me," she said. "I had a woman just walk in here and tell me of course she'll give money to the child fund. She said she does it every year because she had been abused as a child by her next door neighbor. I didn't know what to say."

"Say, I'm sorry you went through that. You're a captive audience, at the front desk you're a bartender without the drinks. Welcome to the monkey house. Keep a journal so you can let the stories out that haunt you. You might become a story-teller. Either way it will change the way you listen to them. It's hard, I know. I once trained to be a volunteer at the Crisis Center. I didn't last long. It takes a special kind of person to be able to stay present while hearing all of that trauma."

No comments: