Monday, June 27, 2022

a duck, a mermaid, and a water rat.

I just raked dead pine needles along with tiny candy wrappers and stray dog poop into the gully of fast moving rainwater. When it rains hard we always get two rivers running down our street. 

Inspired by how fun it was I started weeding all of the greenery between the sidewalks and curbstones and pavement. I recognized people driving by. Performance art, I thought. I'm wearing a long dark dress and loving getting soaked.

We are a few days away from the 27th year anniversary of owning our beloved house.  When locals and my parents balked at the neighborhood we told them we would work to make the things better. And we have. 

The Boys and Girls club is relocating to our street and I offered to teach cooking and baking. I hope the kids of the neighborhood will be granted permission by their parents to attend. Meanwhile our public library got a grant that allows me to teach baking and cooking there. It's a win-win and a dream come true.

My head and back got soaked in the rain but it felt great at 69 degrees. I was wearing my black sloggers rubber clogs and dark flowered house-dress that I cut the sleeves off of last summer. Why should I be bothered by rain? I swim all the time! I am a duck, a mermaid and a water rat but mostly I am a Labrador retriever mixed with dolphin. I prefer sonar.

No comments: