Monday, October 07, 2024

Spinach Pie Thin with top crust baked at 525F

Yesterday I was craving spinach pie. I sauteed 2 pounds of frozen spinach with 2 cans of black olives chopped by hand, 3 chopped white onions, a bulb of fresh garlic chopped and added to the frying pan with olive oil. I chopped 4 or 5 anchovies and capers and added them with the fishy oil from the anchovy jar. After a taste test I sprinkled some Adobo. It was so delicious I ate a bowl of it.

Meanwhile I made pizza dough using my sourdough rye starter, yeast, salt bread flour semolina flour mixed and  it rested all day while we marched in a parade. When we came home I pinched off a blob the size of an orange and stretched it thin on a pizza pan. I didn't want to stretch so I walked away to let it "rest". Then 20 minutes later I was able to try again and the dough had relaxed and stretched thin. I brushed the top with olive oil and spread the filling. I made a second crust and added it to the top. I pinched the top and bottom edges together and painted the top with olive oil. I baked it for 20-25 minutes at a (preheated) 525F.

The completed pizza was nice and thin (about a half inch). The flavors are so intense you want it to be thin. I have a photo to add to this later...at the moment I do not have the cord to send it to my computer from my phone.

The joke is that I am Italian by marriage; my mothers! My mother's second marriage (Gargagliano)! So no I am not genetically Italian, I am Russian-Jewish Ukrainian Hungarian and Polish, but I  am Italian by osmosis and I love to make biscotti and pizza and homemade pasta, tomato sauce, (turkey) meatballs and authentic lasagna. 

The surname Lisker is a Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic) habitational name for someone from Lisko in Poland or Liski, which is now in Belarus.

No comments: