Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Spring Recipes

When I am out walking for miles I am often inspired to bake and cook when I get home. Here are a few simple recipes.

Fantastic Potato Salad

Spring is the season for fantastic potato salad. I make mine in the five-quart Presto pressure cooker that I've had for 27 years! This potato salad recipe came with my cooker. It's ready in five minutes and tastes even better when chilled. I put the steamer tray into the cooker and pour in water to the brim of the tray (about two cups). Then I take a bunch of red-skinned potatoes (about 6 or 8) and chop them into chunks and put them on the steamer tray in the cooker. I chop an onion or two and add it. Then, in another container I mix a tablespoon of mustard, 1/4 cup of vinegar, a bloop (tablespoon) of olive oil, a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon or two of sugar. I sometimes add a teaspoon of celery seed too. I add the mixture to the cooker, then seal it and bring it to steam. I let it cook at full pressure for five minutes, then cool it immediately. What I don't eat right away I put into the fridge to enjoy later, cold.

Corn Bread with Apples

I am a corn freak. There's nothing like fresh moist wholesome cornbread eaten with an Empire apple. I preheat my oven to 400 degrees. I mix together 1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal, 1 cup whole-wheat flour, three teaspoons baking powder, 2Tbs sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 cup corn oil, 1 cup milk, and 2 beaten eggs, then pour it all into a small square greased Pyrex dish or a preheated greased cast-iron skillet. You can also double the recipe! This recipe bakes for 30-35 minutes or 45-50 minutes when doubling the recipe. You can also bake it in a muffin pan for 15-20 minutes.

Refreshing Spring and Summer Tea

I use frozen lemonade concentrate to make lemonade, and mix it half-and-half with a cooled-down quart of brewed Tetley tea (3 tea bags brewed for five minutes). I add fresh mint if I have it.You can also try Tetley tea brewed and added to cold apple juice and fresh mint.

Cucumber Salad

Speaking of mint (which is already growing like crazy), I like to make a simple sliced-cucumber salad with mint, yogurt, salt, and pepper. I prefer the English cucumbers, the ones wrapped in plastic in the store, until fresh garden ones are available.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I make a sugarless lemonade by squeezing lemons into apple juice - then I add lemon seltzer to my glass just before drinking to dilute it and make it fizzy.