Monday, May 14, 2007

Happy Mother's Day

Two days ago I was in a dark mood. I took a long walk with Honey and found a book at a yard sale for a dollar, it was by the Dalai Lama! Dalai for a dolla! I read it on the couch when I got home. Eventually I fell into a deep sleep, and woke up to the sound of a woman cross-country skiing on an exercise machine on the third-floor porch across the street.

Yesterday I was reading more of the Dalai Lama book I found for "a dolla" at the yard sale. Maybe I should realize I was not unlucky to have had such a difficult childhood. I was granted the opportunity to push back with the fires of compassion, love, and joy.

The lilacs are bursting in our yard. We planted the bushes twelve years ago when Bill's sister gave us pieces of her plants. The neighborhood kids had been plucking bouquets of them for Mother's Day! I don't mind, there's plenty of blossoms for everyone.

Our neighbor Armand gave us a dozen raspberry suckers to plant. He dug them up from his pristine garden, and then fleshed out our collection with sprouts of dill, Greek oregano, and cilantro. Bill cleared the leaves and twigs and planted the herbs. We discovered our asparagus has come up again! We harvested a bunch and ate them like carrots sticks and also enjoyed them in cheddar cheese sandwiches.

2 comments:

Rachel Nguyen said...

Hi Emily,

I tagged you for a game!

Come by my place to read about it.

The Big Dunk

Rachel said...

So glad to have stumbled your way - your writing is beautiful. Blessings.