Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Water Music

We're getting ready for our first parade of the season. Rehearsing the happy marching tunes last night cheered me up. Last week I played in three jams and they were all fulfilling. I am astounded at the healing power of playing music. Even when I feel wretched, it makes a home.

I'm enjoying swimming laps again, too. It's enhancing my strength for my horn playing, not to mention making a calm room in my brain. Lately I seem to especially need the thinking, underwater time. My hypo-allergenic stress-busting visceral place is in the turquoise waters. My body remembers how good this is, how swimming permeates all aspects of my water-soluble life. My muscles smile, my skin laughs, my head clears, and I calm down. I'm a water jock/junkie. There are so many of us at the pool; all ages, shapes, sizes, and colors.

No comments: