Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Unexpected

Today on my walk with Lily as I was heading down Winter Street almost reaching Harris Ave, I saw a postman leaning on his little postal delivery truck. Then I saw what he was looking at. There were a whole bunch of turkey vultures on the roof of a small house. The postman said he counted; there were 26 birds in all. They were big black and shiny with a wide wingspan and creepy wrinkly red heads. He said jokingly that he hesitated to deliver the mail fearing they might swoop down and carry him away. I offered to walk up the path with him and Lily. As we stood there talking the Rottweiler inside the house barked at Lily from the picture window and the vultures started to fly away. Their wings were so wide they looked like the flying monkeys from The Wizard Of Oz.

No comments: