Sunday, October 04, 2009

Sunday Walk

Lily and I took a big walk this morning. Early in the walk we saw a large blue + green ball rolling towards us. Our street is flat, so I couldn't understand what propelled the ball. It rolled right by us, as if it were motor controlled.

When we passed Savini's restaurant I noticed a pair of black patent leather pumps left out on the green carpeted front steps. I had to check if they were my size. I spotted the chef out back in his tomato-stained kitchen apron having a smoke. I walked over and Lily jumped up and kissed him. I told him about the shoes. He said They're not mine! I laughed. There was a wedding here last night, he said. Cinderella must have gone home without her shoes I joked. We laughed and Lily and I continued on.

When we walked through Precious Blood cemetery the orange, red, and yellow trees were reflected in the pond. Even the poison ivy had turned bright yellow. When we finally got to the secret swim spot, I needed to cool off. I lost my balance on the shore while trying to dip my hair in the water, and fell in. I didn't mind at all, I was ready to jump in! I remembered the dog biscuit in the tree where I placed it the other day. It was still there with only a few chew marks on it. I grabbed it and it was soggy. I gave it to Lily anyway. After a few rounds of fetch in the water, Lily ran up the hill, shook herself, and took off in an exuberant run. I yelled for her and when she did not respond I began to panic, running in the direction I last saw her. Then I spotted her near the soccer fields. I caught up with her, and we headed home.

Before I left my house I had boiled a pound of black-eyed peas to plump them up, and now I am slow-cooking them. Autumn always inspires my energy and appetite. On these full days I am sound asleep at eight or nine PM, but I do love to wake up early. And Lily is usually sitting by the bed, staring at me in the dark sending me telepathic wake-up signals!

No comments: