Friday, January 28, 2011

Rick Bursky

I don’t know about heaven or hell, but this world is a great place for a poet.
-Rick Bursky

I believe a poet has to live an inspired life. You have to be fully engaged in life, love and art. Be part of the world, not a passive voyeur.
-Rick Bursky

There's a wonderful question in "The Hypnology": Isn't this the best use of night, / to make us afraid, make us uncomfortable, / make us stare at the ceiling until morning. / Is sleep a skill or a prize? Do you try to answer such questions, or do you, like Rilke, think more is to be gained by living them?
-Rick Bursky

One of the things I love about poetry is the way our own poems have the ability to amaze us and teach us things about ourselves. Sometimes I write a poem and wonder, Where’d that come from? “Is sleep a skill or a prize?” is for those who read the poem to answer for themselves. If you twist my arm right now I’d say it’s a prize. Tomorrow my answer might be different.
-Rick Bursky

No comments: