Saturday, April 02, 2011

Psychic Snakes

One day walking along East School Street I found a weensy rubber toy snake on the sidewalk and picked it up. It was about an inch long, red, curved into a classic S shape. The next day I found another one just like it in the same place, but green. I took it home to join its mate on the black glass shelf in the bathroom with all the other toys I find.

Recently I noticed one of the two snakes was gone. How I noticed with all the stuff everywhere is beyond me. I looked around with no luck, and figured the cat knocked it into the sink or onto the floor. Perhaps I'd vacuumed it up. It was no big deal, but, annoyed by my obsessiveness, I couldn't help looking a few more times. The next day, walking Lily past that same spot on East School Street, I found a brown weensy rubber snake on the sidewalk. Laughing, I picked it up and carried it home. When I walked in the door, there on the rug in front of me was the missing snake. Now I have three.

No comments: