Saturday, October 20, 2012

Wizard of Oz

Today Kurt Anderson is featuring the Wizard of Oz on public radio. I always felt that this story was the ultimate folktale and a subsequent map for my life. As a child we had the music on a record and I used to listen to it over and over and study the little black and white photo on the back where Judy Garland is in bed surrounded by her friends.

After the witches striped stockings curled up under the house.
I had to sleep with the hall light on

I performed the Cowardly Lion speech in 6th grade oratorical contest, and won.

I copied the illustration on the album cover as a painting when I was 14.

My friends Amy's dad filmed Maxwell House TV commercials with Margaret Hamilton. I was still terrified of her.

When I ran away, Providence Rhode Island's state house was my Emerald City and neighbor.

My blond Labrador Travis was my Toto.

My step sister's mother looked like Glinda the good witch, living in Englewood New Jersey.

I had plenty of witches in my life and still do -- both good ones and bad ones.

I met the Lion Tin Man and Scarecrow (types) in Providence and now, everywhere.

I have been a huge fan of Judy Garland, Margaret Hamilton, Ray Bolger, Burt Lahr, Frank Morgan, and Billie Burke.
Here.

No comments: