Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Boiled in Oil

It was Christmas and the dining room had two oblong tables making a T-shape covered in red tablecloths at my parents house. The tables were filled with food and seated around them were extended family and a few close family friends.

My mother suddenly blurts out "Emily always had her hands in her pants, as a little girl, a real woman."
I looked around to see if this remark was upsetting anyone besides me. I remained silent. When dinner was over I began questioning my cousin and siblings "Did you hear what she said?"
I was packing my bag to return to Rhode Island. My step father knew something was wrong and dropped a bunch of little candy canes in my bag.

I stopped going home for Christmas, holidays, parties, anniversaries, weddings.

They continue to send me photos of themselves with descriptions of what countries they've recently visited and what expensive foods they've eaten.

-----

I was 15 my parents were eating dinner alone in the closed off dining room. I came in to say hello.

"Your father and I were just discussing we don't think you have sexual feelings," she said.

That summer was sent to a nude co-ed summer camp.

-----
In college my mother called me at 6 AM and screamed into the phone "He's the guy who screwed you, He should pay!"

No comments: