Saturday, February 09, 2013

Snow

I never like to feel trapped, so I got up early and immediately started shoveling. I shoveled a path for the oil man because we will be calling him this week. I shoveled a path for Lily at our side door and leading around the big yard yard. I shoveled the front steps and finally the back steps, slowing down as I tired. Then Bill and I walked Lily for the big walk around the pond. Very few cars were out due to the driving bans so it was quite festive and easy to walk in the street. There was a sign in someone's yard that read SNOW. The word PLOWING and the phone number were buried in the snow. It was hilarious - thanks, I was wondering what this white stuff was!

Everyone was out shoveling and it was very social, which I liked and very much needed. When we got home and finished a late lunch we started to attack our car buried in the parking lot. There were mountains of snow left by tenants burying each other's cars (and ours) while trying to get out. We shoveled away, digging a path through mountains of snow that we were trying to move without burying more cars --- and then the neighborhood landlord finally arrived with a plow and spent hours clearing the lot. Hurray!

Huge swaths of southern RI are without power. We are very lucky up here in the north. Tomorrow we'll shovel the flat roof and that will seem easy and quick after today's work. I baked some slow-rise sourdough breads and then sweet potatoes in the residual heat. I steamed up a batch of broccoli. I know I will fall asleep the minute I sit down.

No comments: