Sunday, February 24, 2013

Voltaire

Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.
-Voltaire

Love truth, but pardon error.
-Voltaire

Dare to think for yourself.
-Voltaire

I don’t know where I am going, but I am on my way.
-Voltaire

Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do.
-Voltaire

Le secret d'ennuyer est celui de tout dire.

(The secret of being a bore is to tell everything.)
-Voltaire, Sept Discours en Vers sur l'Homme, 1738

The human brain is a complex organ with the wonderful power of enabling man to find reasons for continuing to believe whatever it is that he wants to believe.
-Voltaire

Cherish those who seek the truth but beware of those who find it.
-Voltaire

Man is free at the instant he wants to be.
-Voltaire

Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.
-Voltaire

May God defend me from my friends: I can defend myself from my enemies.
-Voltaire

The happiest of all lives is a busy solitude.
-Voltaire

Don't think money does everything or you are going to end up doing everything for money.
-Voltaire

Paradise is where I am.
-Voltaire

The instruction we find in books is like fire. We fetch it from our neighbours, kindle it at home, communicate it to others, and it becomes the property of all.
-Voltaire

Being unable to make people more reasonable, I preferred to be happy away from them.
-Voltaire

The greatest consolation in life is to say what one thinks.
-Voltaire

Life is bristling with thorns, and I know no other remedy than to cultivate one's garden.
-Voltaire

No problem can stand the assault of sustained thinking.
-Voltaire

If there’s life on other planets, then the earth is the Universe’s insane asylum.
-Voltaire

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.
-Voltaire

No comments: