Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Lorenzo Carcaterra

Live then, beloved children of my heart, and never forget that, until the day God deigns to reveal the future to man, the sum of all human wisdom will be contained in these two words; Wait and Hope.
-Lorenzo Carcaterra, Sleepers

I was now well prepared to be a career criminal. I had the proper training and a natural feel for the business. I had a respect for the old-liners like Angelo and Don Frederico. I had been a witness to both murder and betrayal and had my appetite whetted for acts of revenge.

I just didn't have the stomach for any of it.

I didn't want my life to be a lonely and sinister one, where even the closest of friends could overnight turn into an enemy who needed to be eliminated. If I went the way Angelo had paved, I would earn millions, but would never be allowed to taste the happiness and enjoyment such wealth often brings. I would rule over a dark world, a place where treachery and deceit would be at my side and never know the simple pleasures of an ordinary life.
-Lorenzo Carcaterra, Gangster

We do many things we shouldn’t in the course of a life. It doesn’t make them right or wrong, just a part of who we are.
-Lorenzo Carcaterra, Street Boys

No comments: