Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Ephemera and Detritus

My office is a geological time warp that goes back to the time before I owned a computer. Letters galore. I have cleared off three chairs in my office and made three stacks of books. I sat down in my newly available chair and began reading.

So far today I've filled an empty classic plastic laundry basket with old paper for recycling. It's a step on the journey of a thousand steps. I am by no means becoming a neat freak, I just have to sort the wheat from the chaff and hopefully bring down the dust level.

Over the decades I have made a cocoon. Will I feel naked if I succeed in getting rid of all of the detritus? Is that why I saved it, for protection?

I must remember that this office is also filled with good books and art and I mustn't only focus what needs improving.

Everything is a lesson on how to live life. If I allow it to be.


To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

- Ecclesiastes, King James Version

No comments: