Friday, December 18, 2015

Splashy Joe and Blue-Noodle Arthur

This morning the pool was empty. I told myself remember one lap is enough, then you are free to shower and go home. Then I swam and really got into it. It felt good. Swimming is my yoga, my Tai Chi, my meditation, and my hydro-psychotherapy. After about 45 minutes a barrel-chested elderly gentleman showed up wearing a blue bathing suit carrying a blue towel. He picked out the only blue noodle. "I'm Arthur," he said. "Have you been swimming a while?
"Yes," I said. "I've heard about you, you're Blue-Noodle Arthur and you like this lane the best. Would you like me to move?" I asked.
"No, that's okay," he said. But I insisted he take his favorite lane.
"Splashy Joe will be here," Arthur said. "I see his car in the parking lot. He must be in the gym." A few minutes later a mustached man showed up. "This is Splashy Joe," Arthur said. "How do you do," I said. After a few minutes I switched lanes to be away from Splashy Joe and closer to Blue-Noodle Arthur. I put on my yellow flippers and felt like a Ferrari flying through the water. As I was leaving Arthur said "You swim good. Come here often? I've never seen you."
"I try to," I said, "but sometimes early and sometimes late."

No comments: