Saturday, December 12, 2015

Terri Cheney: You will not Feel this way Forever

I won't say that writing tamed the Black Beast. It soothed him, though, enough so he agreed simply to occupy a corner of my mind...Gradually, I redirected my focus and skills towards causes much closer to my own heart: writing and mental health advocacy.
[...]
I felt so good at times that I even wondered, was I still bipolar? In my community work, I saw so many people who were much worse off than I was - deep in their disease in a way I no longer seemed to be. I knew that this often happens to manic-depressives: the brain forgets the ravages of the illness they way a woman forgets the pains of childbirth. You have to, to survive. But it's always a dangerous place to be, because you inevitably start to question the need for medication, therapy, and all the other rigorous stopgaps of sanity so carefully put into place to prevent another episode.
― Terri Cheney, The Dark Side of Innocence: Growing Up Bipolar

I only know that my greatest victories have always been surrenders.
― Terri Cheney, Manic: A Memoir

I actually stopped talking. I actually listened. So I knew that I wasn't all the way manic, because when you're all the way manic you never listen to anybody but yourself.
― Terri Cheney

The cruelest curse of the disease is also its most sacred promise: You will not feel this way forever.
― Terri Cheney, Manic: A Memoir

No comments: