Friday, May 27, 2016

A Backwards Day

I started my day at 3:30 AM with John Cheever and Kim Addonizio stories and poems and then I jumped into the local pool. I walked home wearing my Thanksgiving dress over my wet bathing suit. The air was still cool. I was about to go to the library but when I opened the fridge the bread dough was crawling out of the bucket so I set it up to rise in five greased loaf pans. Next thing I knew I was chopping red potatoes to make a quick a batch of three minute German potato salad in my Presto pressure cooker. (See the recipe on my INSOMNIACS KITCHEN blog.) Then I started making a batch of granola. The potato salad was excellent. I have made this for 35 years. The recipe came with my cooker. It's basically red potatoes, celery and onion cubed and cooked in an oil and vinegar + mustard dressing. The flavors permeate the potatoes especially after they cool off. Today I saved the leftover vitamin-rich broth and pressure-cooked a pound of wholegrain ziti in it. That took only nine minutes. Then I steamed three heads of kale and made the same olive oil vinegar mustard dressing to pour over it. The dough had risen by then so I baked the five loaves of sourdough. I started to vacuum while baking so the good smells would overpower the vacuum cleaner smell. I forgot the loaves were baking in the oven until I started to smell toast. After I took the loaves out of the oven I ran up and down and vacuumed so Bill would see a clean house when he got home and then we could relax a bit. And I STILL had yet to go to the library!

No comments: