Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Space

Congratulations you have been selected to win a brand new SUV and 25 thousand dollars in cash. CLICK. I don't want those things I just want space in my head, not stuff. How un-American. I thought about the guy who button-holed me on my walk last night. He had gaps between every tooth on the top row. I kept getting lost in his tinted tombstones as he told about his recently dead Shiba Inu. "I made her a coffin," he said taking out his cell phone to show it to me. He had an enormous jaw and dark stubble on his chin. "She protected me when I was sleeping in the woods," he said. "They're the best," I said. I glanced down at Lily and took a few steps tightening the leash. "Have a nice night," I said, resuming my walk.

Space, space, space. I can't seem to get enough of it lately. Bring back the 30 degree winter days. Everywhere I go people want to talk. I need to not talk. I sat in my room with the fan blowing humid air at my bare feet and shut my eyes. "Meditating?" my mind asked me. A steady stream of chatter streamed out of my pen onto my notebook page. I'm just the secretary. "Just cleaning out the muddy mind," I thought, responding to the question. "I'd like to run away and be someone else for a while, but nothing would work with who I am. It's too late. And anyway, traveling into space only requires imagination."

No comments: