Thursday, September 29, 2016

Compassion Versus Tough Love

Perhaps we need to go back to the drawing board and look at the results of compassion and really understand how to educate ourselves. Listen to your children, this is how we move our society forward. Let go and love them.

I remember when I was in 6th grade and I was assaulted in my neighborhood by two boys from the next town. I was 11 and they were 15. My mother went berzerk and actually made it HER DRAMA. In retrospect that is no surprise. When she told the psychologist how she reacted he reprimanded her for taking me right back to school the next day. "Why did you do that?" he asked.
"She fell off the horse, I thought she should get right back on," My mother said.

Tough love as a way to avoid feeling strong emotions always backfires. Now I realize my mother was a victim of all sorts of things and she had to snuff it out in herself by obsessively controlling me.

No comments: