Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Portuguese Biscoitos

I went to my husband's school for their open house. The culinary department was making these cookies and handing out the recipe. I just made a batch while the oil man was here working, and I gave him a few as he was leaving.

I used fresh lemon zest, margarine and whole wheat/white flour. I used a cookie cutter. They are excellent!

Ingredients:

Butter 1/4 cup
Eggs 3 large
All Purpose Flour 3 1/2 cups (plus extra for rolling)
Lemon zest 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
Almond extract 1/4 teaspoon (optional)
Salt 1 teaspoon (more if using kosher salt)
Baking powder 2 teaspoons

Directions:

Cream butter and sugar
add eggs one at a time
Add extract at this time (if using)

Mix flour and baking soda and salt
Add dry ingredients to egg mixture
Mix until dough forms and looks and feels smooth
Roll into walnut sized balls, then roll with palm of hand into six inch long strips
form into desired shape
(traditionally circular like a small thin doughnut)
Bake at 350 for 10-18 minutes or until golden brown (rotate baking sheets and flip the cookies half way thru.
serve with some good fresh coffee or tea.

No comments: