Friday, March 29, 2019

Hamlet

What is the meaning of the first two lines of "Hamlet"?

3 Answers
Ross Brannigan
Ross Brannigan, Actor and PhD in Theatre and Screen
Answered May 1, 2016

Having played this role I can tell you the decisions we made. Basically they are terrified. It is very dark (no electric lighting) probably misty as well as freezing, there are twists and turns on the battlements. And......a ghost has been showing up!

Having the arriving soldier challenge the one who is standing guard is odd but not unusual considering the state is topsy turvy, preparing for war, the King has recently died and he has personal experience of what lingers up there. Imagine being on guard but without the benefit of a searchlight while there is a possible demonic presence just round the corner. Francisco is extremely happy to be relieved and Barnado is anxious that anything that moves won't blast him to hell. He is very happy when Marcellus and Horatio show up.

So the arriving soldier wants to simply know: is that you my soldier friend? Or is it a demon. (and he says it as a brave challenge)

The soldier currently on watch replies with the appropriate challenge and says that he's the one who should rightfully be asking.

They are muffled up against the cold and semi concealed so they are cautious about identifying each other.

You COULD play it with them seeing each other perfectly clearly and insisting on proving to each other that they are who they appear to be (ie not a ghost).


Ross Brannigan, writing a play about Polonius
Answered Sep 17, 2017

Hamlet is relevant today for many reasons.
One of the most important is that we still feel inspired to ponder the purpose of life and to wonder what we would do in horrendous circumstances. The tragedy of Prince Hamlet is timeless in that respect. How would I respond if the women closest to me whom I loved utterly betrayed me? How would I respond if my father challenged me to do something that would completely destroy me and yet was so obviously necessary that I couldn’t avoid it? How could I live with myself if my actions caused the woman I love to kill herself?

Beyond the deep internal struggles there is also the dimension of an action story with a supernatural element, family betrayal, sexual tension, madness and loyalty thrown into the mix. It has been a winner for 400 years.

No comments: