Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Ludwig


December 17, 1770 - March 26, 1827

Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears from the eyes of woman.
Ludwig van Beethoven

Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.
Ludwig van Beethoven

Tones sound, and roar and storm about me until I have set them down in notes.
Ludwig van Beethoven

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life.
Ludwig van Beethoven

I will seize fate by the throat; it shall certainly never wholly overcome me.
Ludwig van Beethoven

Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets; art deserves that, for it and knowledge can raise man to the Divine.
Ludwig van Beethoven

The true artist is not proud: he unfortunately sees that art has no limits; he feels darkly how far he is from the goal, and though he may be admired by others, he is sad not to have reached that point to which his better genius only appears as a distant, guiding sun.
Ludwig van Beethoven

Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.
Ludwig van Beethoven

Music is the one incorporeal entrance into the higher world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend.
Ludwig van Beethoven

Art! Who comprehends her? With whom can one consult concerning this great goddess?
Ludwig van Beethoven

Nothing is more intolerable than to have to admit to yourself your own errors.
Ludwig van Beethoven

What you are, you are by accident of birth; what I am, I am by myself. There are and will be a thousand princes; there is only one Beethoven.
Ludwig van Beethoven

Recommend virtue to your children; it alone, not money, can make them happy. I speak from experience.
Ludwig van Beethoven

A true artist is expected to be all that is noble-minded, and this is not altogether a mistake; on the other hand, however, in what a mean way are critics allowed to pounce upon us.
Ludwig van Beethoven

The barriers are not erected which can say to aspiring talents and industry, 'Thus far and no farther.'
Ludwig van Beethoven

I must confess that I lead a miserable life. For almost two years, I have ceased to attend any social functions, just because I find it impossible to say to people, 'I am deaf.' If I had any other profession, I might be able to cope with my infirmity; but in my profession, it is a terrible handicap.
Ludwig van Beethoven

When somewhat at a distance, I cannot hear the high tones of instruments, voices. In speaking, it is not surprising that there are people who have never noticed it, for as a rule I am absent-minded, and they account for it in that way.
Ludwig van Beethoven

Music comes to me more readily than words.
Ludwig van Beethoven

This is the mark of a really admirable man: steadfastness in the face of trouble.
Ludwig van Beethoven

Friends applaud, the comedy is over.
Ludwig van Beethoven

There ought to be an artistic depot where the artist need only hand in his artwork in order to receive what he asks for. As things are, one must be half a business man, and how can one understand - good heavens! - that's what I really call troublesome.
Ludwig van Beethoven

A great poet is the most precious jewel of a nation.
Ludwig van Beethoven

O, you men who think or say that I am malevolent, stubborn or misanthropic, how greatly do you wrong me. You do not know the secret cause which makes me seem that way to you, and I would have ended my life - it was only my art that held me back. Ah, it seemed impossible to leave the world until I had brought forth all that I felt was within me.
Ludwig van Beethoven

Off with you! You're a happy fellow, for you'll give happiness and joy to many other people. There is nothing better or greater than that!
Ludwig van Beethoven

I joyfully hasten to meet death. If it come before I have had opportunity to develop all my artistic faculties, it will come, my hard fate notwithstanding, too soon, and I should probably wish it later - yet even then I shall be happy, for will it not deliver me from a state of endless suffering?
Ludwig van Beethoven

I only live in my music, and I have scarcely begun one thing when I start on another. As I am now working, I am often engaged on three or four things at the same time.
Ludwig van Beethoven

Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth.
Ludwig van Beethoven

Music is the wine which inspires one to new generative processes, and I am Bacchus who presses out this glorious wine for mankind and makes them spiritually drunken.
Ludwig van Beethoven

Music from my fourth year began to be the first of my youthful occupations. Thus early acquainted with the gracious muse who tuned my soul to pure harmonies, I became fond of her, and, as it often seemed to me, she of me.
Ludwig van Beethoven

Often, I can scarcely hear any one speaking to me; the tones yes, but not the actual words; yet as soon as any one shouts, it is unbearable. What will come of all this, heaven only knows!
Ludwig van Beethoven

No comments: