Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Pickles Pliers + Gravity

I feel claustrophobic with one large canvas. I have to stretch the 2nd one. I'd feel better with 6 or 12. I need plenty of space in my head to rotate and fail and experiment. Even though I went to art school and majored in painting, I had to learn to stretch a canvas this big, from a you-tube video last week. I think this is funny. Pre-gessoed canvas is very stiff and I have made depressing saggy canvases before. Painting the raw canvases with gesso and then sanding them is not good for asthma people. If you spray water on the back of a saggy canvas it will tighten like a drum but only temporarily. I discovered that I had to stretch this canvas vertically using canvas pliers, staple gun, hammer, and gravity to help me. It worked out! I am elated. Now how to get the jar of pickles open? Where's that hammer.

Whenever I am trying to create I feel like Alice in Wonderland LOST in SPACE! It's terrifying which means I should be there. As my performing pal Keith says "It's a long time since I've been scared on stage. That's when I knew I had to do did a solo show!

Be terrified! It makes us GROW"


The OPEN ZITI! (the open channel)

No comments: