Monday, August 26, 2019

Nichole Villeneuve

I was one of the fortunate ones whose periods stopped for 18 months, then returned only once or twice and then stopped completely. I was very happy when they stopped altogether. I wasn’t planning on having more children, so I didn’t have to deal with any sense of loss when they ended. At the height of my suffering, I attended a menopause support day with other women in my local community. One woman there who was already in full menopause mentioned that we would get through it and said that we could look forward to experiencing a ‘post-menopausal zest’ when we got through to the other side. I laughed when she said it and thought, that doesn’t seem very likely. But she was so right – now I’m there – insomnia gone, full of energy, no more night sweats, only very occasional flushes and a newfound confidence and stronger sense of self. I’m enjoying looking after myself during this stage of life. Nichole Villeneuve, 52, Bristol
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/aug/25/i-miss-what-i-used-to-be-like-womens-stories-of-the-menopause

No comments: