Sunday, June 21, 2020

Art Acevedo: Hang on to Hope

“Policing, as imperfect as it is today, it is absolutely ages better than it was 34 years ago, but we’ve still got work to do,” Acevedo told the Guardian this week. “We have to look at the court system, we have to look at the prosecutors, we have to look at the prison system, we have to look at probation, parole, at the entire criminal justice system.”

“Being the target of discrimination as a child and even as a member of the California highway patrol, I felt it was important to be out there and mourn the loss of George Floyd with our community,” he told the Guardian.

“I’m the leader of the department and so if they’re angry with our department I’d rather they vent with me than at my young officers who had nothing to do with what happened in Minnesota. Then that venting turned into mourning, and mourning together.”

Article

No comments: