Thursday, April 04, 2024

Bus Theater

Yesterday I took the bus to the pool and on the way home three people, a young man and two older women, came aboard at the Walmart stop with their cattle dog. The dog was wearing a decorative blue T-Shirt. They pretended the dog was a service dog but he was obviously not working. He was busy greeting me and licking passengers.

The young man had about ten cans of soup stuffed inside his gray sweatshirt. "I found them in the trash," he said. "I didn't want them to go to waste. Would you like one, it's Progresso." The man seated next to him with a Verizon logo on his jacket had been plugged into earbuds up until this point, singing along to himself. He suddenly became talkative and animated with the cattle dog family. They began discussing shopping carts. Verizon man showed them his wheeled attache case with telescoping handle and a sturdy bottom. He unzipped the bag to show how roomy it was. Then he told them that their three year old cattle dog would eventually fill out. "He has a big head to withstand being kicked by a cow," the young man said. "But our cats scratch him and he does nothing." I noticed scratches on the dog's legs.

As new people entered the bus the young man offered them soup, pulling the cans out of his sweatshirt. "I have lentil!" he said, and handed it to the woman seated opposite him.

When I arrived home I ate lunch and put on dry socks. I was hit with exhaustion. I took a nap, and when I woke up I fixed a cup of hot tea and made lasagna.

No comments: