Thursday, July 19, 2012

Piece of Paradise

Last night when walking with Lily my neighbor came out and offered me two dozen eggs from her backyard chickens. I was thrilled. Tonight when I was walking I saw two wild bunnies nibbling on grass in an open field, unafraid. Also tonight a lady who lives on the pond invited me to come swim from her yard anytime, even if she isn't home. I appreciated her generous invitation. Perhaps because I am so protective of my own boundaries and solitude I can't imagine doing it even though I love the idea. Often I wonder if the pond neighborhood would still feel like paradise if it were where I lived. Part of the special effect is that I am a visitor away from my city neighborhood. I enjoy this moment of paradise partly because it feels far from my home. I bring a piece of it back with me when I return.

No comments: