Friday, February 13, 2015

Dead Ends

What is it with people who live on dead ends that they suddenly believe they OWN the street?

Recently I was walking through the woods in Blackstone Massachusetts on a path parallel to Edgewater Drive off Champlain Ave. I was with my dog and luckily I spotted the wood with nails facing out in time. These were DELIBERATELY placed here to discourage walking down the the dead end of Harris Pond Road to the woody path. The residents dislike the foot traffic and have decided to take the law in their own hands. The problem with suburbs is people get away with this nonsense.

The residents at at Killingly Pond in Connecticut do the same thing. They park blocking the path to the public access peninsula and to make matters worse they chain up their dog to scare people away.

In all of my years in RI, I have only been scolded by two people during my dog walking; once on Oak Hill Ave Woonsocket which has two houses and a dead end and the other was on Diana Street in Blackstone which also has two houses at a dead end. In each case a resident claimed the street as theirs and told me I must not walk on it. In both cases my jaw dropped. In both cases I figured the people had lost their minds so I left quietly.

There are many other streets in the universe.

No comments: