Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Philippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl

 

“You can smile when your heart is breaking because you're a woman.”
Philippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl

“If it means something, take it to heart. If it means nothing, it's nothing. Let it go.”
Philippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl

“He promised her that he would give her everything, everything she wanted, as men in love always do. And she trusted him despite herself, as women in love always do.”
Philippa Gregory, The White Queen

“I can't sleep, I can't eat, I can't do anything but think about him. At night I dream of him, all day I wait to see him, and when I do see him my heart turns over and I think I will faint with desire.”
Philippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl

“A man will always promise to do more than he can do to a woman he cannot understand.”
Philippa Gregory, The White Queen

“I would know you anywhere for my true love. Whoever I was and whoever you were, I would know you at once for my true love.”
Philippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl

“When a woman thinks her husband is a fool, her marriage is over. They may part in one year or ten; they may live together until death. But if she thinks he is a fool, she will not love him again.”
Philippa Gregory, The Other Queen

“I believe in me, in my view of the world. I believe in my responsibility for my own destiny, guilt for my own sins, merit for my own good deeds, determination of my own life. I don't believe in miracles, I believe in hard work.”
Philippa Gregory

“The world hasn't changed that much; men still rule.”
Philippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl

“I have given my word that only death will take me from you.”
Philippa Gregory

“Words have weight, something once said cannot be unsaid. Meaning is like a stone dropped into a pool; the ripples will spread and you cannot know what back they wash against.”
Philippa Gregory, The Constant Princess

“Jane," I said quietly.
She opened her eyes, she had been far away in prayer.
"Yes, Mary? Forgive me, I was praying."
"If you go on flirting with the king with those sickly little smiles, one of us Boleyns is going to scratch your eyes out.”
Philippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl

“Edward lives as if there is no tomorrow, Richard as if he wants no tomorrow, and George as though someone should give it to him for free.”
Philippa Gregory, The White Queen

“Just because one man calls him Allah and another calls him God is no reason for believers to be enemies.”
Philippa Gregory, The Constant Princess

“You have to choose the best, every day, without compromise...guided by your own virtue and highest ambition”
Phillipa Gregory

“I shall be dark and French and fashionable and difficult. And you shall be sweet and open and English and fair. What a pair we shall be! What man can resist us?”
Philippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl

“I never thought it would end like this. I never thought he would leave me without saying goodbye.”
Philippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl

“But I don't forget and I don't forgive.”
Philippa Gregory, The White Queen

“He is my brother. She is my sister. Come what will, they are my kin.”
Philippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl

“A woman has to change her nature if she is to be a wife. She has to learn to curb her tongue, to suppress her desires, to moderate her thoughts and to spend her days putting another first. She has to put him first even when she longs to serve herself or her children. She has to put him first even if she longs to judge for herself. She has to put him first even when she knows best. To be a good wife is to be a woman with a will of iron that you yourself have forged into a bridle to curb your own abilities. To be a good wife is to enslave yourself to a lesser person. To be a good wife is to amputate your own power as surely as the parents of beggars hack off their children's feet for the greater benefit of the family.”
Philippa Gregory, The Other Queen

“He may well speak French and Latin and half a dozen languages, but since he has nothing to say – what good are they?”
Philippa Gregory, The Constant Princess

“I am too dark in my heart tonight.”
Philippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl

“For most of my life I have been adored by fools and hated by people of good sense, and they all make up stories about me in which I am either a saint or a whore. But I am above these judgments, I am a Queen.”
Philippa Gregory, The Other Queen

“Anyone can attract a man. The trick is to keep him.”
Philippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl

“I was born to be your rival,' she [Anne] said simply. 'And you mine. We're sisters, aren't we?”
Philippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl

“I woke at dawn every morning to his touch, the delight of his warmth and the heady smell of his skin. I had never before lain with a man who had loved me completely, for myself, and it was a dizzy experience. I had never lain with a man whose touch I adored without any need to hide my adoration, or exaggerate it, or adjust it at all. I simply loved him as if he were my one and only lover, and he loved me too with the same simplicty of appetite and disire which made me wonder what I thought I had been doing all those years when I had been dealing in the false coin of vanity and lust. I had not known then that all along there had been this other currency of pure gold.”
Philippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl

“Tell my daughter Elizabeth -- no! Tell all my daughters, everywhere, in all the ages yet to come. Tell them how I died, and why. And tell them to remember this: the future is unwritten. Know your rights.”
Philippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl

“I have seen sights and travelled in countries you cannot imagine. I have been afraid and I have been in danger, and I have never for one moment thought that I would throw myself at at a man for his help.”
Philippa Gregory, The Queen's Fool

“When they see us dance. When they see how you look at me. When they see how I smile at you.”
Philippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl

No comments: