Thursday, January 28, 2021

Jennifer Boylan's book DOG DAYS

A great memoir provides a path forward for the reader as well as the writer, and Good Boy does just that. As Boylan discovers who she is through her dogs and her stories, her writing brings us back to ourselves, too.

When Boylan asks, “What is this world? What is this life?,” her dogs provided the answer. When Boylan was incapable of searching for her true self any longer, the dogs reminded her that she was not lost.

“Everything I learned about love I learned from dogs.”

Boylan’s dogs dutifully lead her back to her best self, a self she describes as canine in nature. “But I have been drawn to dogs above all, perhaps because my own personality is fundamentally canine. I am happiest when I am with those whom I love, preferably by a warm fire. If you lost something, I would try to bring it back to you.”

source

No comments: