Monday, August 29, 2022

Something came out from my heart into my throat and then into my eyes. ― Jean Rhys, Voyage in the Dark

 “We can't all be happy, we can't all be rich, we can't all be lucky - and it would be so much less fun if we were... There must be the dark background to show up the bright colours. ”
Jean Rhys, Good Morning, Midnight

“All of writing is a huge lake. There are great rivers that feed the lake, like Tolstoy or Dostoyevsky. And then there are mere trickles, like Jean Rhys. All that matters is feeding the lake. I don't matter. The lake matters. You must keep feeding the lake.”
Jean Rhys 
 
“My life, which seems so simple and monotonous, is really a complicated affair of cafés where they like me and cafés where they don't, streets that are friendly, streets that aren't, rooms where I might be happy, rooms where I shall never be, looking-glasses I look nice in, looking-glasses I don't, dresses that will be lucky, dresses that won't, and so on.”
Jean Rhys, Good Morning, Midnight  
 
“A room is, after all, a place where you hide from the wolves. That's all any room is.”
Jean Rhys, Good Morning, Midnight

“Blot out the moon,
Pull down the stars.
Love in the dark, for we're for the dark
So soon, so soon.”
Jean Rhys, Wide Sargasso Sea  
 
“If I was bound for hell, let it be hell. No more false heavens. No more damned magic. You hate me and I hate you. We’ll see who hates best. But first, first I will destroy your hatred. Now. My hate is colder, stronger, and you’ll have no hate to warm yourself. You will have nothing.”
Jean Rhys, Wide Sargasso Sea  

  “I would never be part of anything. I would never really belong anywhere, and I knew it, and all my life would be the same, trying to belong, and failing. Always something would go wrong. I am a stranger and I always will be, and after all I didn’t really care.”
Jean Rhys, Smile Please: An Unfinished Autobiography 

“There are always two deaths, the real one and the one people know about.”
Jean Rhys, Wide Sargasso Sea 

No comments: