Tuesday, July 09, 2024

Alice Munro Was Hiding in Plain Sight By Michelle Dean, a Canadian writer in Los Angeles.

 https://www.thecut.com/article/alice-munro-daughter-sexual-abuse-family-secrets.html

There will be talk of whether Alice’s statue should remain up, metaphorically, in the face of all this. I think it can — what I’ve been trying to tell you is I think I know these stories better now than I did before because of this revelation. Readers sometimes still revert to children when talking about the writers they love. I suppose it’s natural. Children, after all, presume adults know what they are doing. They presume adults are doing the best they can. But adults are not always doing the best they can, not even the ones who seem so obviously to be doing so. It’s uncomfortable. It’s terrible. It’s very sad. And it’s something we just have to process, endlessly, every day, for the rest of our lives.

And do you know who taught me that? First, it was the Ottawa Valley.
Then, it was Alice.
Now, it’s Andrea.

No comments: