Monday, May 17, 2010

I Love Mud

I was given a few herbs for my garden: cilantro, dill, loveage, rosemary, oregano, and so far they have taken! So I am going to get a few more plants at Bileau's, and seeds for spinach, kale, collards, and carrots at Job Lot. I am moving really slowly so I won't become overwhelmed. I want the garden to be a pleasure and a delight and not a prison. I love playing with dirt and water because it makes MUD! I used to make pottery - I love MUD like I love dough!

Last night I finally met the neighbors whose menagerie I have admired from afar, the family that has chickens, bunnies, a dog, an orange cat, and a vegetable garden. We traded stories about urban farming. They gave us a dozen eggs from their chicken coop. The husband said they heat the coop in the winter with an electric blower to keep the chickens warm so the chickens will lay eggs all year. We all wished we could have milking cows. The husband told me he once got a baby bull for twenty bucks and kept him for a while in the garage! He said the bull was sweet and gentle. His wife, smiling, said, "I told him to get rid of it!" I think she is from Poland, she has a strong accent. They are an adorable couple. They have a house in the mountains they love to escape to. She said she has to wear bells out in the wilderness when she picks berries to keep the bears away.

I have connected with three gardeners in my town this weekend. My three heroes of urban farming!

No comments: