Monday, May 24, 2010

Garden Napper

Yesterday I had to convince myself it wasn't rude to take the farmer up on his offer to give me more rhubarb stalks so I set out to go see him. When I arrived at his garden I was still feeling shy. There was a man on the far side of the garden in a chair and I waved. When I got up close I saw that he was asleep in an aluminum lawn chair with a hat shading his eyes. He was not the farmer I met last week. I certainly wasn't going to wake him to ask him where the farmer was so instead I just stood and stared at the huge patch of flowering rhubarb and the newly planted vegetables. I noticed a new row of plants freshly watered with damp soil around them. The damp soil looked like a shadow. These were bean plants that he cultivated in his home made greenhouse made of plywood with plastic sheeting as sky lights. I was inspired. I stopped off at Bileau's and picked out a flat of starter plants: kale, basil, tomatoes, lavender, lettuce, cukes, zucchini, and beets. They are holding them for me.

No comments: