Monday, November 01, 2010

Go Towards

The other day I saw a white poodle puppy across the street. It was with people but not on a leash. I knew if it saw Lily it would run toward us into the busy street. So I stood for a moment on my high front stairs, obscured by the bushes, knowing the dog hadn't spotted us yet. When the street was clear, I descended the stone stairs and stepped into the road just as the dog darted toward us. In her enthusiasm, Lily flipped the poodle on its back in the middle of the street. The cars saw us and stopped. I walked the unharmed poodle back to its owner, explaining that I had crossed the street toward the dog because I knew the cars wouldn't have been able to see it. The man who owned the dog looked me in the eye and said, "Thank you!" I said, "This happens to me all the time. When I see a dog I go toward it to make sure it doesn't get hit by a car." I feel responsible knowing the dog could get killed crossing the street to meet us. I go toward the disaster to prevent it.

No comments: