Sunday, December 05, 2010

Being Seven

Grandma Sophie and I rode in the front car of the subway from Brighton Beach to Manhattan. I stood to view the tracks as the car sped forward while swaying gently left to right. I pressed my nose against the sooty double-paned glass window in the shiny metal door while watching the tracks. I glanced into the little window of the conductor's booth, saw his navy-blue-suited shoulders and the back rim of his matching cap. I was relieved that he didn't turn to see me - faces suddenly appearing in windows always scared me.

We arrived underground, a white tile hallway of infinite corridors. We walked up to Radio City Music Hall to see the Christmas show. The line of chorus girls moving in unison mesmerized me. When the movie started I was completely distracted, worrying about leaving my purse or sweater behind in the theater and getting scolded by my mother. So I clutched my purse strap and sweater tightly. I was bored with the movie. I asked Grandma if I could sit outside. She said yes. She was completely engrossed in The Love Bug. I sat on the red carpet stairs in the lobby, waiting until the film was over.

No comments: