Friday, January 27, 2012

A Chekhov Bender

Medicine is my lawful wife and literature my mistress; when I get tired of one, I spend the night with the other.
-Anton Chekhov

I promise to be an excellent husband, but give me a wife who, like the moon, will not appear every day in my sky.
-Anton Chekhov

If you are afraid of loneliness, do not marry.
-Anton Chekhov

It's easier to write about Socrates than about a young woman or a cook.
-Anton Chekhov

Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice.
-Anton Chekhov

No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.
-Anton Chekhov

The thirst for powerful sensations takes the upper hand both over fear and over compassion for the grief of others.
-Anton Chekhov

You must trust and believe in people or life becomes impossible.
-Anton Chekhov

No comments: