Friday, January 06, 2012

Solitude

Reposted from Fred Lynch's blog
Picture This.

It seems to me that today if the artist wishes to be serious... he must once more sink himself in solitude.
-Edgar Degas

Art starts alone – and convinces society later.
-Douglas Davis

When I am, as it were, completely myself, entirely alone, and of good cheer - say, traveling in a carriage, or walking after a good meal, or during the night when I cannot sleep; it is on such occasions that my ideas flow best and most abundantly.
-Wolfgang Mozart

The artist must actively cultivate that state which most people avoid: the state of being alone.
-James Baldwin

I am aware of connectiveness, it is impossible to be isolated completely, but my interest is in solely finding my own way. I don't mind being miles away from everybody else.
-Eva Hesse

I lived in solitude in the country and noticed how the monotony of a quiet life stimulates the creative mind.
-Albert Einstein

The best thinking has been done in solitude. The worst has been done in turmoil.
-Thomas Edison

Great decisions in the realm of thought and momentous discoveries and solutions of problems are only possible to an individual working in solitude.
-Sigmund Freud

Solitude vivifies; isolation kills.
-Joseph Roux

One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude.
-Carl Sandburg

Be able to be alone. Lose not the advantage of solitude, and the society of thyself.
-Thomas Browne

If you are alone you belong entirely to yourself.
-Leonardo da Vinci

Alone, and without any reference to his neighbours, without any interference, the artist can fashion a beautiful thing; and if he does not do it solely for his own pleasure, he is not an artist at all.
-Oscar Wilde

In order to be open to creativity, one must have the capacity for constructive use of solitude. One must overcome the fear of being alone.
-Rollo May

The things one experiences alone with oneself are very much stronger and purer.
-Eugene Delecroix

If you are idle, be not solitary; if you are solitary, be not idle.
-Samuel Johnson

My work is always better when I am alone and follow my own impressions.
-Claude Monet

A career is born in public - talent in privacy.
-Marilyn Monroe

Isolation can lead to uniqueness, but uniqueness also walks the halls of mental institutions.
-Winston Seeney

No comments: