Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Smile and Wag

Listening to French Radio Classique! Oooooh I love the sound of French! Music is on and studio door is open for the cat and the kitchen curtains are open because the new neighbors are friendly. Ate a big roasted eggplant chic peas red pepper roasted garlic marinaded chicken lunch. The FREE side of freelance! Freedom!!

Smile and Wag
Lily and I just took a walk and I had decided to use the gift card I received last Christmas to get a free coffee at Dunkin'. I recognized the smiling girl behind the counter - our former neighbor's niece, Nicole. I ordered a small hot coffee, and feeling brave I asked for black. She gave me cream and sugar on the side just in case. So sweet. I had tied Lily on the post between Dunkin' and Rite Aid in view through the glass doors and windows. A lady said, "She looks so sad." I was thinking the lady looked sad, alone at the table. "No, she is smiling," I said. "Look! Lily is wagging her tail." "She can see you!" the lady said. "Yes, she can, she has great eyesight, I tie her up the same way at the library and she can watch me as I run in to return my books."

Lily and I walked by Barbara's Place and Barb came out with her daughter to pet Lily. She said "Come back at ten when my dog is here! He's a beagle and loves other dogs." We walked down Main Street crossing over to the river and I saw orange cones in the road and guys in green glow shirts. I walked over. The highway men were mixing cement in a wheelbarrow. "Looks just like my bread dough." I said. "I want to join the highway department - this looks like a fun party! What are you making?" I asked. The man supervising explained they were doing masonry work and making loaves to hold the metal plate in the road. "See, it IS bread dough!" I said. Lily jumped into their arms one by one. "Let's get her a highway department glow shirt - Lily for Mayor!" I said. "I'd support that!" one guy said. "Have a good day," I said as we departed. I see them every day raking the ball field next to the Elks Club and behind The Castle Luncheonette.

Lily and I then walked along the berm admiring the community garden with its scarecrows and red rain barrels below and the river on my right. I could see that the library was not awake yet. Through the big glass windows I saw the maintenance man vacuuming the upholstered chairs. The reference librarian was just arriving. He walked across the parking lot and then turned, having forgotten something, and went back to his car. He had plenty of time, the doors wouldn't open until nine.

No comments: