Thursday, March 06, 2014

Endings are Beginings

I hate endings. Just detest them. Beginnings are definitely the most exciting, middles are perplexing and endings are a disaster.

INTERVIEWER

Why?

SHEPARD

The temptation towards resolution, towards wrapping up the package, seems to me a terrible trap. Why not be more honest with the moment? The most authentic endings are the ones which are already revolving towards another beginning. That’s genius. Somebody told me once that fugue means to flee, so that Bach’s melody lines are like he’s running away.

-

INTERVIEWER

Do you have a favorite among your plays?

SHEPARD

I’ll tell you, I’m not attached to any of it. I don’t regret them, but for me it’s much more thrilling to move on to the next thing.


Interview

1 comment:

Nin Andrews said...

I agree 100% with this!