Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Dave Navarro

“I happen to have one of these conditions where if I’m afraid of something, I have to do it,” Mr. Navarro said
[...]

Mr. Navarro said the meeting had not played out as he had anticipated: “I wanted it to make me feel scorn and anger and rage, and it just didn’t.” There was no confrontation, no screaming, just “an awkward exchange,” he recalled.

But there was an emotional intensity to it. “A lot of things came flooding back,” Mr. Navarro said. “And I almost was watching myself as an outside observer, so it took a minute to get my body and mind and emotional and spiritual stability all back in sync.”

Ultimately, Mr. Navarro came to a powerful realization about Mr. Riccardi: “He’s just some old dude dying in jail.”
[...]

For his part, Mr. Navarro said it felt as if he had found his mother. “After my mom was killed, I had always focused on the death, on the murder, on the tragedy, on the loss, on the trauma,” he said. “I’m way more in touch with who she was as a person now than I was before we made the film.” He added, “I had to dig into the trauma to get to the beauty of my relationship with her.”

Mr. Navarro said he now felt better equipped to tackle life’s other challenges: “The next time I have to step onstage in front of a festival audience, maybe it’s a little less scary because I’ve already faced my mother’s killer.” He laughed and added, “It kind of makes things right-sized.”

Article

No comments: