Monday, May 16, 2016

Pressure Cooker Romance

I have rekindled my pressure cooker romance. Last night I made kale and potato chopped and steamed for 3 minutes in the pressure cooker then tossed in frying pan with olive oil fresh garlic, ginger root, rooster hot sauce and soy sauce. I call it 'Asian meets Southern' style greens.

Right now I am pressure cooking chick peas in my leftover kale stock. The pressure cooker stock is GOLD and must be saved for making soups rice or beans.

Next I must try pasta under pressure.
http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-pasta-with-spinach-pesto-casarecce-ai-spinaci/

UPDATE: I tried pressure cooking wholegrain pasta and it was great. It took 6 minutes. This will be my new go to method.
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/7536-pressure-cooker-easy-ziti-with-sausage-and-peppers

2 comments:

KAREN said...

hi e maily...

i have used a pressure cooker all my cooking life! i cannot imagine cooking potatoes or rice or soups/stews/stock at 'normal' speed!
as a kid we lived over our shoe shop on a council estate. mom would often be in the shop after 7pm. women would come by after work to try on shoes. then mom would come upstairs and she would have two prestige pressure cookers going full blast on the small three burner stove. chicken in one, spuds and veg in the other! dinner would be on the table by 8pm [chicken cooked in p'cooker creates a fab gravy! always thickened with wh wheat flour!]. once she put almost a whole chicken through the release valve - dad had to re-decorate the ceiling!
and once when my brother was on leave from the navy [he was an engineer] - i remember his friends gluing themselves to the wall in the tiny kitchen to get past these two pots hissing and blowing, going full tilt ... "Mrs Stokes - that's dangerous - we KNOW what steam can DO!"
i recently used an electric pressure cooker - they are GREAT cos you don't have to 'watch' them or adjust temp. you can just put on the timer and walk away. i mostly use a stove top cooker [higher pressure] and now that i live in my bro's basement i have an 'induction' single cook top. and actually it's GREAT for pressure cooking. i can get pressure set, put on the timer and walk away. love it!

Urban Mermaid said...

Hi Karen,
THANK YOU for this lovely post! What a treat!!
Hugs,
Emily