Friday, July 29, 2016

Feels Like Saturday

The animals are with me as I type in my office. Their papa just left so they are huddled to be near me. Lily is on her green towel covered bed and Sammy is on a blue towel I set down after drying my hair. I want to replace Sammy's towel with a purple one because his orange fur looks so good with the color purple.

It's wet and gray out and we need the rain. The air is so thick I didn't sleep well. It's okay. I will swim and get revitalized. I am thinking of joining the rotary club but I am not sure that I can make the weekly commitment and the financial one. I am still thinking about it. In transmit energy I am very energetic and community minded and confident. When receive mode hits I think "What the heck have I done?" I feel frightened of meetings and groups and plans. I need open space. But that's not all the time and not necessarily the best thing to do. I've learned that getting out can be healing even when it feels awful.

I am trying to use my transmit energy before I turn back into a gray mouse in mid to late October. We are planning a few picnic table lunches for August to discuss the neighborhood with the friends who can help. Father Dennis, Bishop Herson, Reverend Wendy Van Orden, and Joe Garlick of Neighborworks. This is how our beloved community works. One moment at a time and usually over shared home-cooked meals.

We have the commuter train coming and we might have the revitalization of another important building in the city, the old middle school. The renovated park is a dream come true, which includes free lunches for the kids. I would hope that we can get sunscreen dispensers like NYC parks and maybe some bug repellent too. This is why the rotary club might be a good place for me.

I grew up with Narcissist parents we had no knowledge of community because they only cared and believed in themselves. They didn't attend any of our graduations from HS or college. Birthdays were an afterthought unless it was their birthday.

I love Woonsocket. People are real in this community.

It's rewarding to get out from under the ego bubble of solitary writing, and take a walk and a swim.

Even if I could afford a pool I would miss out on swimming with others.

I have been making iced coffee and German potato salad, hummus, and coleslaw like its going out of style. Lately I keep a few tubs of washed and chopped broccoli and cauliflower, napa cabbage and bok choy for eating raw with my hummus. In hot weather this is a fast meal.

I made soup from the garbanzo bean stock and the potato salad stock, and fresh zucchini. It was excellent cold. Salt and water are the keys to handling 95 degree weather.

I hope we can play Matunuck Beach Light Parade. It's my favorite funky gig of the year.

Next I will cook beets to stain my hard-boiled eggs magenta.

No comments: