Friday, July 29, 2016

Poverty and Community

The family has no screens, no working fridge and no air conditioning. There are 6 of them and a dog."The fridge is empty and it doesn't work," the oldest daughter Rose said to me. I phone a friend who gets them an air conditioner. The city will help with the screens. It's the law. And the kids are all bitten up by mosquitoes. They can't afford food let alone bug repellent and screens. Yes the children broke the screens but I don't fault them they have been caged inside since school let out.
This is the third world right in my parking lot. The Mohawk boys told me that they see ghosts and they described in detail the ones they've seen. "There was a man in a black hat in the window" they said. I listened remembering reading about Carl Jung seeing ghosts as a child. They resumed playing frisbee in our shared parking lot until one of them cut his bare foot on shattered beer bottle. He's okay but we're going to have a chat with the absentee landlord.

No comments: