Saturday, September 24, 2016

Why Opiates? We are in Pain

I woke at 3:30 because that is the weekday time we get up. I'm listening to La Traviata on the Argentinian radio station sung by different people than I am used to. I love it.

Waking towards the day is enjoyable when I'm in transmit but it will be reversed when I go into winter receive mode. At those times morning is sheer hell and I race to the pool to swim myself up an inch and that's the best I can do for dispelling the emotional pain. That inch saves my life during those dark times.

I am thinking a lot about pain because I'd like to talk to the kids at the high school about emotions and art and sports and dancing and ways to avoid recreational drugs. We are in a time when one grain of a substance can cause an overdose just by touching it. That is Russian Roulette! I will I talk to the kids about pain and anxiety. Yes. The conversation needs to go towards the root of the problem. Our society is like Swiss Cheese. We have many holes.

Often it is the artists who end up exploring the dark corners of caves. This is why people are afraid to invite an artist to dinner. We will talk about all of those spider webs everyone is trying to sweep away. They get respun each night by those brilliant and clever spiders.

Last night my husband said remember when you had your first cup of tea and coffee and how you felt? Euphoric, free, powerful, invincible calm, happy, loved, creative, and content? Your mother said "No tea, no coffee" and your parents drove off to their weekend country house leaving you home alone. What did you do? You plugged in the coffee pot and made paintings all day and you danced around the big empty house.

Well that's what these kids feel about the stuff they find. So what are you going to say to them? Talk to them about pain and anxiety. No adults will talk to them about that. Then talk to them about writing and art and music and baking and swimming and all the ways you cope and honor your emotions. The side effects are you learn who you are and what you love doing in life and how to handle the complexities.

Can we do this without fear and threats? We must.

I have lost many childhood friends and relatives to drink drugs and suicide. I was blessed with a delicate system but nonetheless this problem is close to my heart. If we can inspire an alternative and educate (clear information is everything) we may save a life and even change our society.

No comments: