Thursday, July 12, 2018

Canvassing in the Park

An older lady wearing an Easter hat with a turquoise scarf wrapped around the brim and matching turquoise jewelry was canvassing in the park. She was with a younger magenta-haired woman. They both had clip boards with light blue paper. "I love your hair," I said. "Did you use Kool-Aid?" I asked.
"Thanks, I used hair dye," she said.
"You can do that?" The older lady said. "My niece wants to dye her hair but her dad won't let her. Maybe the Kool Aid method would work since it washes out."
"Your dog is so handsome," the pink haired girl said.
"That's why we named him Romeo," I said.
The neighbor kids tell me he looks like Brad Pitt, as a pitbull, I said.
"He does!, he totally does!" she said.
"Are you coming with me so I don't get raped?" The Easter hat lady said to the pink hair gal.
"This is a very safe park. See that guy in the glow-green T-shirt? That's Dave, he manages the park. He can help you if you are worried. A few minutes ago the police were here," I said.
"You're safe, you have a dog," Easter hat lady quipped.
"This is my neighborhood I walk here all the time, the park is fine. The police are good in Woonsocket, and if you need them, they can be here in seconds. That's what I tell all of my neighbors. We have excellent police."
"I know the police are good, my son's a policeman here," Easter hat said. "He works the night shift, he sees all the bad stuff, the worst of the worst. This is why he doesn't want me canvassing in the park. My next stop is doing census work on Pond Street."
"You'll be fine I said," walking way.

No comments: