Friday, December 27, 2019

December 25th

On my way home from my morning walk with my dog Romeo I saw a person off in the distance walk up my front steps and disappear. I had to go see who it was. I found a woman sitting on the top step. I recognized her, I've spoken with her a few times before. She lives in the apartment building behind my house. "I'm just taking a breather," she said.
"That's okay." She looked like had been crying and her eyes were puffy and pink.
"Do you know the girl who died in the shooting? That was my niece. My son was in the car, he watched her die," she said crying. "I went to church today. I haven't been to church in ages. I don't know how to help him. He saw her die." I smelled a whiff of alcohol. "He won't talk to anyone. I don't want him to see me crying. He'll think I'm weak."
"You're not weak. You're grieving. Crying is good. It rains and then the sun comes out. Where is your son now?"
"He's at home in the apartment. The police chief called to check on him. He told me my son is still in danger at school. I don't know what to do. I never go to church I went to church and lit a candle. How can I help him?"
I clasped her hand. "I'm so sorry. You start by letting yourself cry. You grieve and heal. It's a process." I paused. "You peel the onion layers one at a time and at the center is a shoot that grows and makes a new plant." I sat down next to her, put my arm around her shoulder and gave her a sideways hug. "Are you Anya's room-mate?"
"Yes, but she's with her family today. My other son is at his friend's house."
"So your 15-year-old son is home alone? Maybe you should go home and have a cup of tea with him and just try to be in the moment with him."
"He doesn't drink tea. Hot cocoa! He likes cocoa."
"Perfect, have cocoa with him, with a little whipped cream on top," I said, smiling. "It's Christmas. That's what makes this pain even worse. Tomorrow will be better. Would you'd like to make an appointment to talk to the chief of police he might have some ideas of what you can do. I could go with you if you'd like."
"Yes, that would be good, thank you."
"I'll walk you home now." We both got up and I walked down the sidewalk with her and said goodbye at her door. We hugged.
"Thank you."
"My pleasure. You take good care."

No comments: