Wednesday, February 26, 2020

The Interview

I walked over to my meeting. It wasn't raining and I enjoyed the 2 mile walk as a chance to look around and think. When I arrived I was surprised at how ugly the area was. I passed a few drug dealers and overgrown and battered yards. The only signs on the premises were about picking up dog poop. They were homemade signs poking up from the dirt and scattered leaves. There was no indication which way was the main entrance. I tried the left door and it was locked So I rounded the building and found a door propped open. I entered. It was dark and cold and nobody was around. I found a man seated at a computer. He didn't turn until I walked over and addressed him. We chatted a bit. The woman who made the appointment with me was away but might return. I received a tour of the dingy unlit, unheated building. When the woman arrived she seemed alarmed. We sat in an even colder room. I put my purple fleece hat back on. "It's glorified summer camp, are you still interested?" I was shocked by her statement. She was inviting me to bail before I said a word. Not a good sign I thought.

No comments: